Sports Recaps

SMU Athletics
 Sports Recaps
Sports Recaps

Sports Recaps

• Football
  • Men’s Soccer
  • Women’s Soccer
  • Volleyball
  • Cross Country

FOOTBALL

Mustangs lose in WAC opener at Hawaii, 42-10

The Warriors rolled up 487 yards of offense, including 314 through the air. Hawaii also scored three touchdowns off the SMU turnovers and returned a blocked field goal for a score. Hawaii jumped to a 14-0 lead after one period, scoring both times after SMU turned the ball over. Two plays after Tate Wallis threw his first interception of the night, Timmy Chang found Neal Gossett with a 51-yard TD pass to put the Warriors on the board with 6:47 remaining in the quarter.

On the first play of SMU’s next possession, Keylon Kincaide fumbled and Hawaii recovered at the Mustang 42-yard line. Mike Bass scored on a seven-yard run seven plays later to make it 14-0.

SMU went into halftime with some momentum as Trent Stephenson connected on a 21-yard field goal on the final play of the first half. The score was set up by a Kevin Garrett fumble recovery on a missed punt at the Hawaii 20-yard line.

Things fell apart for the Mustangs in the third period as the Warriors scored three touchdowns. Chang capped the opening possession of the quarter with a 19-yard scramble for a TD, then Kenny Patton returned a blocked field goal 74 yards for a score. John West scored on an eight-yard run late in the period.

Hawaii took a 42-3 advantage early in the fourth quarter when Laanui Correa picked off a Wallis pass then lateraled it to Hyrum Peters who went 39 yards for a score.

Kris Briggs capped the scoring for SMU when he went in from six yards out with 1:37 remaining.

Hawaii averaged 7.1 yards per play while SMU gained only 238 total yards, including just 46 passing, and averaged only 3.3 yards per play. Wallis completed 6 of 21 passes for 46 yards. Briggs led the offense with 132 yards rushing on 12 attempts.

In addition to his fumble recovery, Garrett intercepted two passes and also blocked a field goal. SMU did force six Hawaii turnovers.

MEN’S SOCCER

Sixth-ranked men’s soccer rolls over Cincinnati, 3-1

The SMU men’s soccer team extended its winning streak to six games with a 3-1 win over Cincinnati Sunday afternoon in day two of the TCU Soccer Classic in Fort Worth. Sixth-ranked SMU now posts a 7-1-1 record while Cincinnati falls to 4-4 for the year.

SMU scored the game’s first three goals, all in the first half and within a 10-minute span. Freshman Collin Clark started the Mustang scoring at 17:24 with an unassisted goal.

Junior midfielder Kevin Hudson recorded his second goal of the season with the assist to freshman Kellan Zindel. Zindel rounded out SMU’s scoring with an assist to freshman Duke Hashimoto. Cincinnati scored its lone goal 40 seconds into the second half with a goal by John Liersemann.

SMU claimed the title at the 2002 TCU/United American/Adidas Men’s Soccer Classic this weekend after going 2-0 at the tournament. Mustang sophomore goalkeeper T.J. Tomasso was named tournament MVP after allowing only one goal all weekend.

SMU opens Missouri Valley Conference play this weekend with a pair of home games. The Mustangs face Southwest Missouri State Friday at 7:30 p.m. and Evansville Sunday beginning at noon.Both games will be played at Westcott Field on the campus of SMU.

WOMEN’S SOCCER

Lady Mustangs, Loyola Marymount Lions play to a 0-0 draw

The SMU women’s soccer team and Loyola Marymount University played to a 0-0 tie after double overtime. LMU junior Shari Nishikawa put the Lions up 1-0 with two minutes left in regulation, only to see the goal get called back by the linesman on an offsides call.

The Lions (5-2-1 Overall) held a slight 6-5 edge in shots at the end of the first half. The second half was more of the same as LMU continued to outshoot the Mustangs (4-3-1 overall) by a 4-2 margin. The Lions peppered SMU’s goal with quality shots forcing Mustang goalkeeper Erin McLeod to make four saves on the day.

The play of the day came late in the game when Nishikawa clearly stole the ball after a deflection off a Lady Mustang defender deep in SMU territory. Nishikawa, one-on-one with SMU’s keeper, beat McLeod for the score putting LMU up 1-0 in the 88th minute. Fortunately for the Lady Mustangs, an offsides call by the linesman nullified the shot attempt, and in turn, the goal.

Lady Mustangs fall to #24 Pepperdine, 3-2

The SMU women’s soccer team dropped a 3-2 decision to #24 Pepperdine Sunday afternoon in Malibu, Calif. With the loss, SMU falls to 4-4-1 while Pepperdine remains unbeaten with an 8-0-2 record.

SMU got on the scoreboard first as sophomore Erin MacCallum scored off an assist from junior Kim Harvey at the 6:03 mark. Pepperdine would go on to score the game’s next three goals and put SMU in a bind, down 3-1, at the 64:46 mark. SMU did manage to close the gap at 3-2 when Kim Harvey recorded an unassisted goal at 81:55.

The Lady Mustangs take on TCU at 4 p.m. Wednesday in Fort Worth.

VOLLEYBALL

SMU volleyball tops Lady Techsters 3-1

The SMU Volleyball team opened conference action with a win Friday night as they defeated the Lady Techsters of Louisiana Tech 3-1. They fought back from a first game loss and took games two, three and four for the victory. With the win, the Ponies move to 7-8 for the season, while the Lady Techsters fall to 11-6.

The Mustangs dropped the first game to the Lady Techsters 30-20. The second game remained close until the Mustangs pulled ahead after nine lead changes to even the match at one game apiece (30-28). Game three proved to be a nail-biter, as well, as the Mustangs pulled from behind late and won 30-28 on a service ace by sophomore Beth Karasek. The Lady Techsters had led by as much seven points midway through the third game but could not put off the Ponies’ late offensive surge. After trailing early in game four, the Mustangs, again, used their late offensive power to win 30-23.

Leading the Mustangs was Karasek, who had 12 kills and 13 digs for her second consecutive double-double and fourth double-double of the season. Senior middle Leslie Lasiter added 11 kills and five blocks for the Ponies. Leading the Mustangs defensively was Kristen Peterson with 22 digs. Junior Katy Moffett had 15 digs in the match. The Mustangs will return home and face Nevada on Thursday for the team’s first home conference match of the season.

CROSS COUNTRY

SMU Cross Country places sixth at Stanford Invite

SMU cross country runners Karin van Rooyen and Emily Field had strong showings at the Stanford Invitational on Saturday, as both claimed top-five finishes in the women’s 4K. Van Rooyen, a sophomore from South Africa, finished a team-high third in 13:55, while Field, a junior from Dallas, took fifth in 14:33.

As a team, SMU finished sixth out of 16 schools with 143 points, well ahead of WAC rivals Fresno State and San Jose. Host Stanford won with 75 points.

Other SMU finishers were Rika Feuth (23rd), Marie Norrman (40th) and Amanda Henkes (72nd).

Sports Recaps

Sports Recaps