Disclaimer: Before you blame someone else, blame yourself

Disclaimer
Disclaimer

Disclaimer

We haven’t produced on the football field. I say “we” because I want to be able to go back and say I said “we” when everyone else was saying “they.”

We haven’t produced a victory in football. Well, not in fùtbol americano. As a team and a community, we can all look at ourselves and say that there is something that we could have done to help the team more. Stay at the game … the whole time. Cheer louder. Talk less. Buy more (it’s a university, no matter where we spend it, the money will find its way to the football program). As fans and as a football program, we have not lived up to the excitement that we ourselves created. With that said …

Who the hell created our schedule? It has to have been the same person that designed the training regimen and wrote the job description for SMU RAs.

Asking a program in the process of remodeling to start with the schedule that we have is like asking a 1-year-old to explain the best possible methods for reformation of the tax code … in Chinese. Come on, let the kid say “Dada” first.

Navy was supposed to be our “Dada” – they just didn’t get the memo. They apparently thought we meant treat us like children; which they did by spanking us and sending us to our rooms without dinner.

But we stayed positive. No one could have defended that option offense without having seen it in action.

Then Texas Tech came to town. The game was hard-fought and Tech didn’t win – but SMU lost. The chances were there, but they were squandered.

Have you ever seen someone really hot from across the room and wanted to approach her? Just as you make your way across the room, some other guy asks her to dance.

Texas Tech is dancing with our victory.

I must admit a kind of sick pride that I felt when SMU students got into a bit of a skirmish with some guys from Tech. They came to our student section and SMU students sent them limping away.

That’s the most pride I’ve seen since I’ve been a student at this school. We didn’t take anything from anybody. We broke some jaws and promptly redirected our attention to the field. Way to go. Just try not to do it again.

We were 0-2 and guess what it was time for: a road trip. That was genius! We played TCU, Oklahoma State, and are preparing to travel to Hawaii. Even if we had beaten Navy, we would, statistically, be expected to go 1-3.

SMU students just want a win – badly. SMU players surely want one worse. Maybe someone should have told them that the cards were stacked against them. But this Bennett is a gamblin’ man and right now it’s time to see what he’s holding. We need an upset. We need some fire. In the face of all that is going on in the world of politics, in the face of rising tuition, falling school spirit, and fading faith in an apathetic community, we need something more. We need hope.