Counseling the president

Judge Alberto R. Gonzales speaks of the responsibilities, persk and hardships

Students sat on the floor and leaned against walls munching pizza as they listened to Judge Alberto R. Gonzales describe a day in the life of a general counsel to the president of the United States. Gonzales, who serves as counsel to the president, addressed more than 100 law students during a standing-room only luncheon meeting at the Hillcrest Room of the Underwood Law Library Friday.

Some students waited for the open question and answer session that would follow the talk, others just wanted to hear what Gonzales had to say.

“He’s the President’s Counsel, I guess he must have something to say that’s pretty important,” John Duncan, a first year law student said. “He’s supposed to talk about what’s going on in the White House, the war and that type of thing. This is pretty relevant to what’s going on in the world today. “

Gonzales was the first Hispanic appointed in the administration of President George W. Bush. He is expected to be the first Hispanic appointed to sit on the U.S. Supreme Court. He spoke on the responsibilities of his office and some of the responsibilities involved in his daily life.

“This is the best law firm in the country,” Gonzales said. “When I was a young law student at Rice and Harvard I never imagined giving advice to the President of the United States. I could ask for no better client than President Bush. He always listens to my advice and normally follows it. He is a man of morals and integrity and is the man that I call ‘boss’.”

Gonzales said that his office has nine basic functions. First, his office supervises all appointments to a position in the President’s cabinet. They review all FBI background checks and make the final recommendations on a post. Second, Gonzales is the administration ethics officer responsible for ensuring all White House personnel behave in a proper manner. Gonzales said that this is a popular weapon of choice for Congressional Oversight Committees and newspapers, especially during President Clinton’s term.

Third, Gonzales advises Bush on what legal powers he may exercise under the Constitution. This is also something that has drawn a great deal of heated controversy lately.

Fourth, the general counsel advises the President on legislature. Fifth they advise Bush on litigation in the Supreme Court and monitor the rulings. The White House was involved in a federal execution for the first time in 40 years during the Timothy McVeigh case.

Sixth, the office of the counsel develops the White Houses policy on litigation. Seventh, the counsel makes recommendations regarding clemency.

Eighth, the counsel provides legal advise on national security matters. Ninth, the office is responsible for appointing federal judges, U.S. attorneys and marshals.

Ugy Offobche, a foreign student visiting from Nigeria, came to listen to what Gonzales had to say about U.S. versus U.N. involvement in the conflicts currently going on and why Bush thinks the way he does.

“This man counsels the President on war and law,” Offobche said. “He has known Mr. Bush for many years now. Who else can explain these things to us?”

Gonzales said that the U.S. is facing a severe crisis over the appointments of justices and cabinet positions.

“Twenty percent of the civil court justice positions and 10 percent of the district court positions are vacant,” Gonzales said. “Although the people responsible for confirming the justices are doing a good job in general, there are some posts that have been open for over 500 days because of conflicts in Congress and the Senate. This is intolerable. People are being denied their Constitutional right to trial because there are no justices to preside.”

Gonzales said that there were many perks associated with his job, but many hardships as well.

“It’s a heady feeling riding in a Presidential motorcade or on Air Force One, but there is a great deal of stress as well,” Gonzales said. “The most important thing of all is finding the right balance between family and work.”

Gonzales said that nothing is more comforting than the hug of a child or the embrace of a loyal and loving spouse. He often reflects with Bush on simpler, quieter times. When he voices this wish for quiet to his wife, Rebecca, she reminds him that he is impossible when he doesn’t have something to focus on.

Rebecca tells me that the presidency survived before Al Gonzales came onto the scene and will survive later,” Gonzales told a laughing crowd. “I didn’t think it was that funny.” Gonzales muttered.

Gonzales said that Rebecca told him husband that the quiet times are periods that God grants us to rest and refocus before the next set of trials, that is why he chose to speak at SMU at this time on invitation from John Attanasio, Dean of SMU’s Law School.

Gonzales has visited SMU three other times in the past.

“I met Justice Gonzales when he served on the Texas Supreme Court,” Attanasio said. “We have many alumni involved with the Supreme Court. There’s even a picture of the judge wearing an SMU sweatshirt while visiting. The same day, the press photographed him for the announcement that he was being picked to go to Washington. The media just chopped off the letters in the photo, but we have one here. The judge has been a good friend.”

“I always ask students how big their dreams are,” Gonzales said. “Dreams are gifts, they have hope. With my career, I have realized my parent’s dreams. How big your dream is determines how successful you can be.”