Greek organizations step it up

Sidney Hollingsworth/The Daily Campus
Theta, Chi-Omega and Sigma Lambda Gamma perform at the Step Show.

Theta, Chi-Omega and Sigma Lambda Gamma perform at the Step Show. (Sidney Hollingsworth/The Daily Campus)

The McFarlin Auditorium was alive with the sound of stomping feet and cheers Saturday night at the annual Homecoming Step Show. Fraternities and sororities form groups and perform dances and skits that showcase their talented and rhythmic members.

The show is put on by the Office of F0raternity and Sorority Life in an attempt to bring together different chapters across campus and create a sense of unity in the Greek system.
“Stepping” is a type of dance in which you clap, stomp and chant to a beat.

There was a wide variety in the types of performances that allowed each group to display their personalities.

First up was Alpha Chi Omega (Alpha Chi) and Sigma Phi Epsilon, who danced to Michael Jackson’s “Thriller.” The Alpha Chi girls slunk down the aisles, creepily approaching the audience as monsters would.

Next was Sigma Lambda Beta and Kappa Alpha Psi, who created a dance-off. Kappa Alpha Psi educated the men of Sigma Lambda Beta on the art of being “smooth” as the group stepped its way to the top. After a few comical tries, Sigma Lambda Beta seemed to catch on and developed some unique moves of its own.

Next came the girls of Delta Delta Delta and Delta Sigma Theta who again had a competition-style performance. With the boys of Beta Upsilon Chi, the group created a spectacle of dozens of arms moving to the beat behind a single person.

The final performance came from the girls of Chi Omega, Kappa Alpha Theta (Thate) and Sigma Lambda Gamma. The three unified to create a captivating dance that ended with a stunt in which four girls performed somewhat of a human roll.

The step show ended with the announcements of the winners. Kappa Alpha Psi, who coached Sigma Lambda Beta, won the gold in both costume design and best overall performance. Omega Psi Phi, who coached Chi Omega, Theta and Sigma Lambda Gamma, tied for best costume design and won best theme.

“The step show was a great experience to meet people from so many different chapters,” Danielle Katz, a sophomore Alpha Chi who performed in the show, said. “We all loved working together and learning how to step.”