So you think you can be a politician?

Left to right
SPENCER EGGERS/The Daily Campus
Left to right

Left to right (SPENCER EGGERS/The Daily Campus)

On April 14, the Democracy Matters student organization hosted “So you think you can be a politician?” a discussion on the experiences of elected office. The panel featured Texas Representatives Dan Branch and Rafael Anchia as  well as Desoto ISD Trustee and SMU student Warren Seay.

The panel opened with a question: What motivated you to do what you do?

For Seay it was “a sense of urgency. Something needed to be changed.”

Anchia had similar feelings. “Its about seeing a need, understanding the benefit I had received and think[ing] I could make a difference,” he said.

Next the panel discussed what had thus far surprised them in their positions. The answers varied amongst the men, but overall, they agreed that what was most unexpected was the difficulty in getting anything done and the long process it takes to accomplish anything.

Anchia described his job, saying it was “like playing ping pong and chess at the same time.”

You need to be able to sort through information quickly and efficiently and then be able to completely flush it out when you are finished in order to start on something new.

Branch remarked on the first time that he came to the “realization that your part of something more you’ve never been a part of—part of something bigger.”

One of the many benefits of holding office is having “really good access” according to Branch. “You go from being a citizen to being the action.”

Making a difference proves to be slightly easier when you are in a political position due to the visibility, funding, opportunity and access to a great number of people.

Politics, an around–the-clock job has its perks, as well as its not-so-glamorous duties.

These include cynicism from both within the political community and citizens, fundraising, long hours and little pay.

Branch said, “The hard part is actually starting, but once I start, I don’t want to stop.” He also advised the audience that “there is no magic bullet.” The work of a politician is hands-on and requires large amounts of time and effort.

Every occupation has its high and low points, and without passion, the opportunities of being in the political realm are useless and a waste. There are times that doubt and fear surface in every politician.

“I don’t think you’ll ever wipe that doubt away,” Branch said. “It’s hard to sell yourself. You put yourself out there and get shot at.” However, Branch also emphasized that such feelings of doubt, fear, and trepidation are normal.

“Measure your risks, trusts your instincts and if you have enough drive, you’re ready.” Branch said.