SMU rings in the new year, celebrates 100 years

Southern Methodist University rings in the new year by launching its Second Century Celebration, commemorating its founding in 1911 and its opening in 1915.

“The Second Century Celebration will provide opportunities for the entire SMU family to celebrate the achievements of students, faculty and university leaders, as well as to define and help build SMU’s future,” Brad Cheves, vice president for development and external affairs, said.

Since the doors of Dallas Hall first opened in 1915, SMU has prospered not only in size and rankings, but also as a valuable resource in both the greater Dallas area and the entire nation.

“Each student and faculty member has contributed something unique and valuable while they were on campus, and our impact continues through the accomplishments of our alumni,” Cheves said. “The rise in quality among all aspects of the University may be the greatest change—from admissions, the endowment, student diversity, a steady rise in rankings and high-profile research.”

As SMU enters into its next 100 years, Student Body President Jake Torres believes SMU will be the best university in the state of Texas, eventually becoming a top 25 university nationally. U.S. News & World Report’s Best Colleges of 2011 ranks SMU at 56.

“We aren’t stagnate or complacent. Not every university has been around 100 years,” Torres said. “We are celebrating our first 100 years and focusing on the next 100 [years].”

While SMU embraces achievements like the influx of students following WWII, the addition of schools and most recently the ground breaking of the George W. Bush Presidential Library, the University still has many goals for the future, as part of the Centennial Strategic Plan.

According to the plan, SMU hopes to enhance the academic quality and stature of the University, improve teaching and learning, strengthen scholarly research and creative achievement, support and sustain student development and quality of life and broaden global perspectives.

Over the next several years SMU will celebrate its 100th anniversary through a variety of university-wide programs, kicking it off with the opening of Café 100 (formerly Java City) on Thursday. President R. Gerald Turner will speak at 10 a.m., and the first 1,000 guests will receive a free Café 100 travel mug.

“Milestones such as centennials are important opportunities for universities to share their stories with potential students, current students, faculty, alumni and the general public,” Cheves said.

“This is a special time to be a student at SMU. No other classes can say they were on campus during the celebration years.”