Editor in chief signs off

If you had told me four years ago that I would be editor in chief of SMU’s school paper, I would have looked at you like you were crazy (you all know that look).

I would have smiled, and then *politely* said, you are mistaken – I will be president of my sorority in four years.

I’ve had those two sentences planned for the past two years knowing that my day, just like EICs before me, would come to say “goodbye.”

But now that my time at The Daily Campus is coming to an end, I’m at a loss of what to say beyond that.

I simply cannot put into words what The DC means to me.

If it weren’t for Rachael Borne, my roommate freshman year and one of my best friends to this day, I wouldn’t be a journalism major, and might not even be aware that The Daily Campus exists. If she hadn’t spoken so highly of Tony Pederson’s ethics class, I would be heading to graduate school to get my master’s degree in art history. So RB, when it all boils down to it, I have you to thank. 

But being a journalism major only attributes to half of my experience on the Hilltop. One of the best decisions I made at SMU was submitting an article to The Daily Campus. 

I remember Professor Barta calling me (how she got my cell phone number is beyond me. But she IS Barta, after all) to tell me that my article on the dedication of The Annette Caldwell Simmons School of Education and Human Development Building was running in The Daily Campus the next day.

After writing a few dozen articles the remainder of the semester as a staff writer, Taylor Adams, the EIC at the time, told me I should apply for news editor.

I became a member of The Daily Campus family the spring semester of my junior year. 

And, it’s history ever since. 

The memories and friendships I have made during my time at the paper are ingrained in my heart forever. From laughing so hard I had to use my inhaler to crying over trivial matters, I knew y’all had my back. 

Spencer J, I honestly wouldn’t have made it through this semester without you. You weren’t just the photo editor to me. You were my other half, babycakes. Aside from being the person to whom I vented/cried/laughed/yelled/etc., you are the sole reason everyone on staff got paid. I think I speak for all of us when I say, “Thanks.”

Tashika and Rahfin: I know I’m leaving the paper in good hands. I have no doubt in my mind that The Daily Campus will excel next year. I won’t be that annoying graduate who retweets or “likes” every story, but know I’m looking forward to seeing that newsletter every Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

Chase: I know I wasn’t always, easy, to deal with. But, you helped me to become, a, better journalist. I don’t know what I’ll do next yearwithout, someone constantly making fun, of me. Now that we are, no longer co-workers, I’m ready, to goon, a, date. Disney World?

To the rest of my Daily Campus family: I think we can all agree that this semester started off a little shaky with four people quitting within the first month. But as I think about every person on staff, I can’t imagine a better group of people to work with. I wish I could address each of you, but know that you have made my last semester at college truly incredible. I have learned something from each one of you, and I can only hope it’s reciprocal.

Remember you are a family. While it’s one defined by InDesign and late nights, I think it’s safe to say we don’t have a deadline for keeping in touch. I can’t predict what will happen in the semesters to come, but always have faith in what you do and stand your ground. Keep in mind: we are independent of SMU and have been since 1915. 

Most importantly: work on the lines, make sure there is always a pica of space, don’t be embarrassed if journalism professors and SMU administrators are in your favorites on your phone and ALWAYS sign out of your Facebook/Twitter and email accounts.

I think it’s only fair I say thank you to all my non-Daily Campus friends, too. Y’all have been more supportive and understanding during hectic days and long nights. You put up with my rants, tears and unfortunately, silent treatments, too. Thanks for making me feel like I never missed a Thursday night at HomeBar because my phone was constantly buzzing due to our group thread. But what means the most to me is that y’all were excited about “breaking news” on the Hilltop and were never hesitant to snap a photo of someone reading the paper on campus.

While I could probably write another 200 words, the opinion page isn’t getting any bigger.

So, like Ashley Withers said last semester, I’m only a tweet, phone call or email away. And, maybe if I’m lucky enough, I will be fortunate enough to work with some of you in the future.