Workshop teaches the art of negotiation

Students listening to the Women’s and Gender Studies Program’s presentation of “Start Smart” salary negotiation workshop Wednesday evening.
SPENCER EGGERS/The Daily Campus

Students listening to the Women’s and Gender Studies Program’s presentation of “Start Smart” salary negotiation workshop Wednesday evening. (SPENCER EGGERS/The Daily Campus)

Wednesday night, SMU students flocked to, SMU lecturer, Dr. Pauline Newton’s workshop “Show Me the Money” in hopes of making their education profitable and obtaining the negotiating skills for getting the highest possible salary after graduation.

Women in general earn 77 cents for every dollar a man earns.  More specifically, African-American women earn 69 cents and Latina women earn 57 cents for every dollar a man earns.  The pay gap continues to widen the father along a woman gets in her career.  This difference doesn’t appear drastic in the beginning, but as the years go by, bonuses add up and the wage gap increases.

“Women college graduates will earn $1.2 million less over their work life than the young man standing next to them getting the same degree,” Newman said.

Employers see greater liabilities in women because they can become pregnant.  With essentially the same experience, qualifications and responsibilities, women accumulate serious losses due to gender bias and stereotyping.

Junior anthropology major Diana Gonzalez attended the workshop and was shocked by this information.

“I knew there was a wage gap, but I’m surprised to find out how large that wage gap is in reality,” Gonzalez said.

Common reasons women accept lower salaries are that they don’t like to argue about salary, or they think that men have something more than they have and sometimes women do not need as much money as men, according to Newman.

“Rent, student loans, transportation, insurance, clothing and utilities are not going to be cheaper for men,” Newman said.

Newman provided helpful negotiating skills for women to get the money they deserve.
First, salary negotiation begins only after you have the job.  Salary negotiation is a discussion about each other’s needs.  Doing research and analysis of the company and focusing on the objective criteria not only shows interest in the position, but also gives a reference point for the salary range the company offers. 

Another suggestion is to always leave the space blank on an application, but have a target salary in mind based on your budget.   Always have at least three selling points when negotiating. Don’t get personal on those selling points, though.  Salary is based on aspects such as  your ability to get the job done.

“Aim high but be realistic. Anticipate employer’s market value to the prospective employer.” Newman said. “Know how your experience fits into their performance goals, products, condition and state how you will contribute to the employs’ company from day one.”

“This workshop is really applicable to me because I’m a woman about to graduate and find a full time job and I don’t want to be paid less than I am worth,” said Junior Tiffany Adams.

Visit http://wageproject.salary.comand to find out what you are really worth.