Adoption should come before fertility treatments

I’ve long had convictions with the idea of fertility treatments when there are so many children without families. Reading that a study links in vitro fertilization with neurological problems in children was the final nail in the coffin.

The study in “Archives of Disease in Childhood” was small and partially attributed developmental issues to the original infertility of the mothers, but it was enough to push me into my stance after years of flip-flopping.

Before stepping on any toes, I want to say that the desire to have biological children is completely legitimate.

Who doesn’t want to talk about how Johnny Jr. has his dad’s eyes but his mom’s nose? Or experience the miracle of birth firsthand? Newborn babies bring alot of joy to a family, and I don’t want to undermine the value of these moments.

There is, however, just as much joy to be found in adopting a child.

For starters, the amount of love and affection between parents and their children does not depend on shared DNA. At least not in the cases I have seen. If we were only able to care for people we’re directly related to, then the marriage leading to procreation wouldn’t exist in the first place.

Along with having the same family dynamic that exists in a “normal” situation, there is the reward of knowing that the kid that you come to love was saved from a life without parents. I can imagine that immediately after adoption, parents can’t fathom the thought of their new child remaining in an orphanage.

I understand that adopting is not for everyone, considering the outrageous expenses. The money argument crumbles for those who choose in vitro fertilization. If you can pay for that, you can pay to adopt.

Women who want to have children but struggle with conceiving certainly have my sympathy, but when they realize that it’s not going to happen naturally, they should consider adoption before fertility treatment. If the treatments aren’t proven to make up for issues caused by infertility in the first place, then they aren’t worth it.

Sacrificing the few experiences that come with having biological children that cannot be had with adopted children is a small price to pay for changing a life. We should be eager to take care of those who cannot take care of themselves. Adopting is a win-win. A child in need is saved, and a family is completed.

Thrall is a sophomore majoring in journalism and film.