New thrift store does good

Hillary Schleier/The Daily Campus
Thrift Studio’s store is located in Dallas Design District.

Thrift Studio’s store is located in Dallas Design District. (Hillary Schleier/The Daily Campus)

Students are always looking for cheap ways to add designer décor to their dorm rooms.

This month, students can do that and fight homelessness in the process by shopping at Thrift Studio.

Thrift Studio is Dwell with Dignity’s pop-up shop offering designer home furnishing and decorations at low prices.

Dwell with Dignity is a Dallas nonprofit that creates comfortable home interiors for families facing poverty and homelessness, providing them with furnishings, art, kitchen supplies and food.

For the charity, changing a person’s surroundings means changing their outlook on life.

The group relies on donations to design these interiors, but some donated items simply are not useful in their projects.

And in order to help the homeless, volunteer-operated Dwell with Dignity needs to raise money. So, the company created the Thrift Studio.

Thrift Studio is a bi-annual pop-up shop and only exists for a short period.

It sells the overstock of donated items such as gently used furniture, housewares and accessories, all at prices that are considered steals by Thrift Studio’s satisfied shoppers.

Located just 10 minutes southwest of campus in Dallas’ design district, Thrift Studio offers an eclectic mix of the high-end and the high-brow, offering unique finds for as low as $1. So far, Thrift Studio has seen overwhelming success, General Manager Jody Hall said of the pop-up shop that debuted last weekend.

“Merchandise [has been] just flying out of the doors,” Hall said.

In just one weekend, they sold half the store. But not to worry— the store receives a new shipment of chic goods almost daily.

Items for sell include vintage seating, eccentric coffee mugs, colorful pillows and bedding, wall décor and even a book or two.

SMU freshman and life-long “thrifter” Bailey Crane calls the Thrift Studio “a win-win.”

“Thrift purchases give our white, empty, impersonal dorm rooms life and make them fun,” she said.

And with Thrift Studio, “not only can you find interesting things, but you’re helping people, too.”

Thrift Studio showcases its products in five window-front vignettes, each designed by prominent local interior designers. In these spaces, designers used donations from the Dwell with Dignity warehouse to create entire looks that could be implemented in anyone’s home or dorm.

Featured designer Abbe Fenimore decided to participate with Dwell with Dignity because she wanted to be involved in the community by using design.

“When you see what you’ve done for someone to change their life, it really puts a new perspective on life,” Fenimore said.

She believes in the organization’s idea that your surroundings change your outlook.

“Your environment and your space really do change your mood, your attitude and the way you feel,” she said.

The Thrift Studio is located at 1616 Hi Line Drive in Dallas from now until the end of October.

For more information about Dwell with Dignity, go to DwellWithDignity.Org.

To donate items or get involved email [email protected].