February means new season for giving

Many of us associate February with the color red. We think of love, chocolates wrapped in red foil, hearts, and giving gifts to the “other” in our lives. However, many of us do not think of how we can give back to SMU. Instead of giving to just another person, why not give back to your school this Valentine’s Day?

Giving back to SMU is not just something to do to win a challenge during Homecoming Week, or free food during finals. Giving isn’t about numbers or the amount you give to SMU. Giving back is about getting into the habit of supporting our school and academic community.

If you’re here on scholarship, chances are that some of that money came from students who gave back through the Union, a multi-class organization focused on student giving.

A portion of our school’s renovation funds come from the money that the Union collects from students. Does your classroom need new desks, a new projector? All of these things can be bought with the money that you give to SMU.

When you give back to SMU, the school does not place your money into a pool fund. The school uses your donation immediately to improve the school, and buy necessary supplies for whatever organization you donate to. You can see your donation in action right after you give.

Last year, only 23 percent of alumni gave back to SMU. Current students gave even less. These percentages are averaged in with other things to determine our school ranking. SMU has moved up the list over the past few years, and it could rise higher through student giving. The higher SMU’s ranking, the more your degree is worth.

You may think that you already pay enough for your education, but even if you pay full tuition and fees, you only pay about 70 percent of your education costs. The rest comes from donations from alumni and other students.

Have you already given back to SMU? If so, the Union wants to thank you. If you have not, you have the opportunity to give back next week!

The Union will host an “I Heart SMU” campaign next week, coinciding with Valentines festivities. Those who give will be automatically entered into a drawing for prizes. You won’t want to miss out.

To give back, all you have to do is go to smu.edu/theunion and click on your appropriate graduation year. Then, fill out the online form, and select one of the hundreds of funds to give back to. You can give the suggested amount, or a minimum of $5. Of course, you may always go over the suggested amount.

Giving back to SMU through the Union is one of few ways the school can see how much students value their education.

As a member of the Union and a strong advocate for the school, I personally encourage you to give back to SMU. This campaign can be your opportunity to show the faculty, community and nation how much you love your school and how much you value your time here.

If you love SMU, give back. See your donations at work. Impact our school.

Michael Graves is a first year religious studies and communications studies double major. He can be reached for comments or questions at [email protected].