Obama re-election a foregone conclusion?

Associated Press
President Barack Obama, next to Defense Secretary Leon Panetta, right, speaks during a meeting in the Cabinet Room of the White House.

President Barack Obama, next to Defense Secretary Leon Panetta, right, speaks during a meeting in the Cabinet Room of the White House. (Associated Press)

The Republican primaries are in full swing.

Since I am a person interested in politics, one would think that I am keeping up with the contest for the Republican nomination with interest, but alas, I am not.

I have a busy schedule and would prefer to spend my time keeping up to date with news that is more important. One may ask, why am I shrugging off the Republican primaries? It is because I am fully convinced that Barack Obama will be re-elected.

One might assume that my confidence stems from party bias. I do fervently support the Democratic Party; yet, my prediction about the presidential election is based in more than my own beliefs.

Mitt Romney is the likely nominee, as reported by NPR, “With virtually all polls giving him a solid lead among Florida’s Republican voters, Mitt Romney is expected to handily win the Sunshine State’s GOP primary Tuesday, putting him back on course for his party’s presidential nomination.”

So the presidential race is likely to be between Obama and Romney. Romney is not a strong candidate to begin with.

He lacks support within his own party, as reported from the same article from NPR, “Romney’s problem remains that many Republicans clearly would rather he not be their party’s standard-bearer in November against President Obama.

While the Real Clear Politics average for Romney’s support is 41.8 percent, a majority of Florida Republicans — 52.1 percent — collectively support Gingrich, Santorum and Paul.”

So Romney does not excite his base.

This creates a major issue. If people are not excited about a candidate, they are less likely to vote. The fact that any potential Republican candidate fails to gain a significant amount of support from his base bodes well for Obama.

Romney also faces a schism with people outside of his party. One example is his $10,000 bet. This is not criticizing his wealth.

Plenty of wealthy people are in politics, but they do not make the strategic mistake of flaunting their wealth over potential voters.

I believe not even Donald Trump has acknowledged his wealth in the way Romney has.

Romney also just does not provide policies that are in the best interest of the nation, or at least for most of the nation. Romney’s stance on healthcare taken from his website: “Our next president must repeal Obamacare and replace it with market-based reforms that empower states and individuals and reduce health care costs. States and private markets, not the federal government, hold the key to improving our health care system.” 

The desire to repeal a policy that benefits many Americans is just one example of how Romney would not be a good leader.

If you disagree with a current policy, it would be best to reform the system or find the alternative before you leave people out to dry.

The fact that the leading Republican candidate is not popular within or without his party means that Obama’s chances for re-election are good.

This Republican primary cycle has created many laughs, but it surely has not created the next president.

Michael is a freshman majoring in human rights and political science with minors in Arabic and religious studies.