Style on the go: the Vintagemobile arrives on campus

Sidney Hollingsworth/The Daily Campus
Sanaz Talaifar browses through a rack of vintage clothing on board the bus.

Sanaz Talaifar browses through a rack of vintage clothing on board the bus. (Sidney Hollingsworth/The Daily Campus)

Buses aren’t just for public transportation and elementary schools anymore.

Twenty-five-year-old Jeremy Turner is redefining “street style” by peddling vintage merchandise from the confines of a big, loud, bright green bus.

In July 2011, Turner found an old school bus for sale on Craigslist and had the brilliant idea of turning it into a chic boutique on the go.

Turner transformed the interior of the bus, adding clothing racks, shelves and even a dressing room to suit customers’ every need.

He slapped on a coat of green paint on the exterior to get rid of the drab yellow and really make the bus pop.

“It actually cost more to paint this thing than it did to buy it,” Turner said with a laugh.

He scours garage sales and thrift stores for new additions to sell. Turner also purchases pieces from private collectors and vintage fans.

The Vintagemobile has been spotted at the Belmont Hotel, the Dallas Flea, downtown Dallas, and now SMU.

The bright green bus was parked on campus all day Thursday, with hand-painted signs and antique mannequins welcoming students to shop between classes.

SMU Retail Club and SMUStyle.com, a campus-focused blog, coordinated with Turner to bring the Vintagemobile to campus.

Students browsed the racks of colorful dresses, cardigans, and men’s shirts throughout the day.

The fashion fun doesn’t stop there — Turner also carries unique brooches, necklaces, shoes, and belts, and he offered a free pair of sunglasses to the first 15 purchasers.

The bus boasts an impressive collection of vintage t-shirts that feature quirky cartoons and old rock bands.

The Vintagemobile has moved on for now, but future visits are a promising possibility.

“I would love to come back to SMU,” Turner said. “Let’s make it a weekly thing!”

Keep track of where Turner and his playful bus go next visit thevintagemobile.com, follow the bus on Twitter

@thevintagemobile, or “like” it on Facebook. 

The Vintagemobile came to campus Thursday. The bus containing vintage clothing for sale travels around Dallas. (Sidney Hollingsworth/The Daily Campus)

Miscellaneous jewelry rested in trays on the dashboard of the Vintagemobile. (Sidney Hollingsworth/The Daily Campus)