A modern civil rights victory: Don’t ask, don’t tell repealed

It’s official: Last week, the Pentagon announced that after nine months of studying the issue, it can see no compelling reason to continue “don’t ask, don’t tell,” the policy that for 17 years has kept openly gay men and women from serving in the armed forces.

Of course, we didn’t really need a report to tell us that. Every right-thinking person already knows that, ignorance aside, there’s no justification for discriminating against homosexuals, particularly those brave enough to serve in uniform. The Pentagon’s report further undercuts the argument of those who would cling to prejudice.

Now it’s up to Congress to uphold the Pentagon’s findings. Although I usually have little faith that our elected officials will behave in a reasonable and decent manner, enough prominent Democrats and Republicans have come out in favor of repealing “don’t ask, don’t tell” in the past few days to give me hope.

The biggest disappointment of the week has been John McCain, who lashed out against the Pentagon’s findings. I’ve always admired McCain as a statesman and a war hero, and I was sorry to hear him come down on the side of discrimination. It’s never pleasant to learn that an otherwise good man is blinded by prejudice.

We live in a complex world. More and more often, I find myself unsure of what to think about contentious political issues like health care and taxes. Questions of absolute right and absolute wrong are rare. But the crusade for equal rights for our gay brothers and sisters is one of those cases.

Those who continue to stand against equality are on the losing side of history. They were wrong when they said that women shouldn’t be allowed to vote. They were wrong when they said that blacks were second-class citizens. They are wrong when they say that gays don’t deserve every right and opportunity the rest of us enjoy. Someday, their children’s children will study this period of history in school and won’t believe anyone could have been so ignorant.

At a time when America is engaged in two wars, there are gay men and women willing to fight and die for their country. The least they deserve is the respect a grateful nation owes all heroes.

Nathaniel French is a senior theater major. He can be reached for comment at [email protected].