Helpful tips for Mustangs new to the Boulevard

This coming weekend marks a very important date on the SMU calendar. This Saturday, the SMU Mustangs football team will be trampling all over the Stephen F. Austin [SFA] Lumberjacks.

This can be kind of intimidating for freshmen or others who haven’t been to a game before, so I thought it might be useful to provide some helpful hints to make the most of your game day experience here on the Hilltop.

First, go explore the Boulevard. As a freshman, it might be intimidating not having a set group to tailgate with on game day. Wander around the Boulevard and introduce yourself to people at tents that you don’t know. It is a great way to meet new fans and friends. If you need further convincing, remember that people are often eager to give away free food on the Boulevard.

Second, find Peruna and take a photo with him. Peruna loves meeting fellow Mustang fans. Just remember what I told some of you at AARO: Don’t call him cute and don’t wear purple around him. Peruna is SMU’s one and only mascot and is the embodiment of school spirit. He will be hanging around the boulevard a little bit before kickoff.

Third, join the parade and march to the stadium! About an hour before kick off, Peruna leads the Mustang Band, cheerleaders, dancers and fans down the Boulevard to the stadium. Join in the parade and head to the stadium to grab a good seat and prepare for the game.

The fourth piece of advice seems kind of silly, but it is still very important. Go to the game. The game is the whole reason people Boulevard for several hours. Going to an SMU game is one of the best parts of college life. I have been going to Mustang football games for 21 years and have no intention of stopping any time soon.

The final piece of advice I can give to you is to stay until the end of the game. Even though the Mustangs will be winning by several touchdowns by the fourth quarter on Saturday, stay in your seat and keep on cheering.

Some of the best game day traditions happen at the end of the game. Help shake the bleachers when the band plays. Sing “Varsity” with the football team. Listen to the band’s post-game concert where they bust out some awesome jazz music, Shantytown and much more.

I hope that all these tips help to enhance your game day experience. College football is my favorite part of the fall, and hopefully it will become yours as well.

Ray is a senior majoring in mechanical engineering.