Team spirit trumps dislike of football

As a native East Texan, I should be a complete football fanatic.

There is no exaggeration in the stereotype of stadium stands packed every Friday night with frenzied high school football fans.

Win or lose, rain or snow, the team can always count on a big turnout from the community.

Personally, I have no strong sentiments for football.

I would even venture to say that I’m slightly repulsed by the sport.

I can’t find much appeal in men mauling each other for the purpose of getting a ball from point A to point B.

The whole game is just a massive surge of testosterone so naturally, I cannot identify.

I gave in to my culture for three exhausting years by joining my junior high and high school cheerleading squads.

If anything, it was wonderful acting experience. I never had any true excitement for scoring a touchdown, and I really didn’t care if the defense held ’em or not.

I would like to think that I had the crowd fooled by my false enthusiasm, but after being referred to as the “morbid cheerleader,” I knew the jig was up.

My attitude toward this Saturday’s game, however, is a whole different story.

When I first found out that we were playing Stephen F. Austin on our turf for our first home game, the barbaric man inside of me made an appearance.

My negativity in regards to football is nothing compared to my loathing of SFA, which just so happens to be located in my beloved hometown of Nacogdoches, Texas.

I also spent an entire year of my life attending SFA, which seemed like a jail to me.

Not that there is anything wrong with SFA. It is a perfectly pleasant school in a beautiful part of Texas.

It just isn’t SMU, which is where my heart has been since I was in the sixth grade.

Basically, it is vital that we crush the Lumberjacks.

Without any real knowledge of the quality of our football team, I have been talking up the slaughter of this weekend’s game since July.

After our loss to Baylor, morale has dropped, but we must renew our spirit! I am certain that after a day of boulevarding the team and crowd will be pumped up and ready to go, but just to be safe, let’s start the cheering early!

Rah rah ree! Kick ’em in the knee!

Rah rah rass! Kick ’em in the – well, you know.

My first game as a Mustang is sure to be exciting no matter what the outcome, but my competitive side is burning for a victory.

In case readers want to put a face to my name, just look for the raging lunatic in the stands.

There will not be a more crazed fan than this football-hater on Saturday. Go ‘Stangs!

Trevor is a sophomore majoring in journalism. She can be reached at [email protected]